The Kaleidoscope Coordinator is a full-time volunteer position that provides support, resources and programming for Mennonite and Brethren lgbt youth and young adults. The coordinator also assists with general office duties as assigned by the executive director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Sustain a network of support groups for Brethren/Mennonite college campuses (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, non-gay and alumni/alumnae). Provide educational and community building opportunities for students, faculty and staff at Brethren/Mennonite campuses.
- Identify programming needs for youth and young adults; work with the BMC Executive Director and BMC board to propose new programming initiatives to meet the identified needs.
- Keep abreast of important events impacting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth and young adults, their families and friends within the Mennonite/Brethren denominations and initiate appropriate responses.
- Provide resources and outreach to Mennonite and Brethren youth advisors and youth-related denominational staff.
- Attend denominational gatherings and other related events at the discretion of the Executive Director
- Be responsible for maintaining and updating the mailing list and contributor database and files.
- Answer the telephones, monitor and respond to e-mail messages.
- Assist in the preparation for board and committee meetings.
- Assist with fundraising activities, publication preparation, and special mailings.
- Other office duties as assigned.
Characteristics and skills needed:
- Commitment to lgbt justice within the Mennonite/Brethren traditions
- Computer skills – especially Word, Access, Excel, web design
- Interest and skills in creative program development
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and adjust to the demands of a small non-profit
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to respond effectively to homophobia
- Interest in the Anabaptist/Pietist traditions
Room and board, a monthly stipend, and health insurance are provided.
The position will be available in September 2008. Contact Carol Wise at firstname.lastname@example.org